1890’s – In the News

1890s’ Yelm in the News and Other Useful Informaton


1890 – Shore and O”Dell sawmill (later Shore Shingle Mill (lst in area) built on the Nisqually River.  (YP)


Washington Standard    February 7, 1890

Ducks in small detachments are beginning to make their appearance in the upper waters of the Sound.


Washington Standard    October 3, 1890

The Democrats of Thurston County met in Columbia Hall, Saturday, and made the following nominations: Legislature, A.H. Chambers, Olympia; B.F. Ruth, Yelm; Attorney J.R. Mitchell, Olympia; Sheriff, G.S. Prince, Bucoda; Treasurer, O.R. Simenson, Olympia; Auditor, Walter Crosby, Olympia; Surveyor, Theodore Young, Olympia; Assessor, J.C. Conine, Yelm; Commissioners, T.C. Van Epps, Olympia; B.B. Smith, Bucoda; J.K. Littlejohn, Black River; School Superintendent, L.R. Byrne, Bucoda; Coroner, Peter Cook, Olympia; Wreekmaster, Henry Hadlan, Olympia.


Washington Standard    October 3, 1890

One of the most important offices within the gift of the people is the County Assessor. The validity, as well as the justice, of an assessment depends upon its being fair, impartial, and uniform. Mr. J.C. Conine, we think, possesses the qualifications for performing this difficult task faithfully and well.


Washington Standard    October 15, 1890


Van Trump Fails to Reach the Top of Precipitous North Peak.

The party of Centralians who went off to climb Mount Rainier some ten days ago returned yesterday without having accomplished the ascent. The party consisted of ex-sheriff Degeler, Homer, and L.M. Bean, Ed. and C.L. Butts, J.H. Douglas, F.D. Case and John Holt. These eight gentlemen reached Longmyer springs at the base of the mountain on the southeast side, and climbed as far as Gibraltar rock before turning back. While in camp at the Camp of the Clouds, a party of three men and a hound came sown the mountain and spent the might with the Centralians. The three men were Dr. Riley, of Olympia, and Messrs. Van Trump and Drewry, of Yelm. Van Trump is a veteran climber, he with General Hazard Stevens, in 1873, being the first to ever reach the top.

This time he with his friends climbed up the west side in an effort to reach the north peak. They took provisions for two days. The route was found to be extra difficult, and within 300 feet of the north peak, which shoot into the air almost perpendicularly, the three men and the hound found themselves exhausted and out of supplies, having consumed two days in the ascent. Crossing over the crater on the sound peak without much difficulty, the night was spent there. The daring travelers knew it would be impossible for them, it their exhausted condition, to return by the precipitous route they had come, the next day started down on the east side and discovered the camp of Centralians at the Camp of the Clouds. Our representatives hospitality made them welcome to everything eatable and drinkable in their possession.

Cups of boiling coffee and slices of bread and meat disappeared as if by magic, and after they reached the point of safety all gathered round the fire to listen to the adventures of the bold climbers. The faces of all three were swollen and disfigured beyond recognition. Leathern masks and smoked glasses had not prevented the peeling of the outer circle of the face and inflammation of the eyes. The snow had rendered them all but blind, and all walked on the last day with their hands over their eyes, looking as best they could through the crevices between their fingers. The poor dog stayed with them all through, and was just as badly used up as his companions. Dr. Riley says the wind was blowing sixty miles an hour on top. The party discovered a leaden plate with Van Trump’s mane on it, which had been placed on the top in 1873.

As all attempts had signally failed in placing a flag on the summit which could be seen from below, the party suspended a large looking-glass, taken there for the purpose. The glass was pointed at the town of Yelm, which was distinctly seen below. No word has been received from there yet whether it can be seen.

The Centralians listened to all this and more, and as they found they had neglected to bring along several very essential articles for a successful climb, they returned without having gone higher than the celebrated rock of Gibraltar – the point where many every year turn round and come back.

Mere Mention

Washington Standard    November 14, 1890

Miss Margie Ross, of Eastside, had been engaged to teach a second term of school at Yelm.

The following teachers are present at the November examination: Edith Corbett from Yelm; Estella Tyler from Chambers Prairie; Addie M. Manvill, Elmer Ralston and Kate E. Perry, Tenino; Marion F. Gaby, Mary Jenkins, Maria A. Bethel, Etta M. Venen, Lucy Hartman, Lizzie Richards, H. Villard Card and Lulu E. Dunn, Olympia; Hattie Callow, Kamilchie; Minnie Mize, Clara A. Adams, Mrs. W.G. Harthanft, Mamie S. Cowen, Bucoda; Thomas A. Henry, Little Rock; Alice Langridge, South Bay, and Maggie Sutton of Tumwater.


Washington Standard    November 21, 1890


Miss Lizzie Richards, of Olympia, and Miss Edith Corbett, of Yelm, were the two bright young ladies that received first-grade certificates at the late teachers’ examination.


Washington Standard    November 28, 1890

Scarlet fever has prevailed to some extent in the vicinity of Yelm station, and the district school has been discontinued in consequence of it prevalence among the children.

Washington Standard    November 28, 1890

A medical commission decides that cigarette-smoking boys and gum-chewing girls were born for each other. So there is hope for the dudes and dudines of Olympia.

Washington Standard    November 28, 1890

Strange as it may seem, the Indians in this vicinity know all about the uprising among the redskins farther east who are dancing the ghost dance and looking for the advent of an Indian messiah.

Washington Standard    November 28, 1890

There was no bogus happiness among the loggers who come into town to spend the day set apart from labor by the President’s proclamation.

Washington Standard    June 28, 1891

Miss Fay Fuller, of Tacoma, who has spent the past year in Washington as a clerk in the census office, has returned fro the summer and visited this city Wednesday. The young lady is a talented newspaper correspondent and her articles have…

The Institute

Washington Standard    August 10, 1894   


At the session Monday Mrs. Keyes opened the work on “Word-making,” and Miss Stowell gave an interesting talk on studies from nature, in which she dwelt upon the benefit to be derived from use of the eyes as a means of self-aid.  Prof. Beeler gave some instructive exercises in algebra, and Mrs. Keyes and State Superintendent Bean spoke on the rights and duties of teachers.  The latter made the point that duty should come first and rights afterwards, and that teachers should not be content with doing simply what duty requires them to do.  Mental arithmetic was the subject of thought, introduced in the afternoon by Mrs. Keyes and Prof. Beeler, and Miss Stowell favored the institute with one of her interesting talks on “busy Work.”

Mr. Falknor gave instruction in the preliminary lines for study of the constitution, and President Getz, of the State Normal School at Ellensburg, closed the session with an address.

An entertainment was given the institute in the evening, at which the following program was rendered:

            March – “Crusader,” Sousa

            Address – “Our Country and Our Public Schools,” State Superintendent                                          Bean.

            Bass Solo – B.W. Hill

            Song – O’Shanty Glee Club

            Organ Solo – Prof. Roberts

            Solo – Mrs. Bolton

            Overture – “Sunrise,” Orchestra

            Recitation from J. Whitcomb Riley

            A.J. Falknor

            Solo – Miss Ward

            Selection – O’Shanty Glee Club

The exercises on Tuesday were briefly:  Superintendent Bean’s diagramming and analysis of English Grammar; Miss Stowell’s resumption of her talk on “Busy Work”; Prof. Getz o Pedagogy; exercises in arithmetic and algebra by Mrs. Keyes and Prof. Beeler; reading of an essay on Miss Frances E. Willard by Miss Coulson, of Rainier; some reference to adoption of the constitution by Mr. Falknor, and a discussion of temperance in which many of the members participated. 

The Institute closed its work Wednesday.  There has been no previous session at which the members departed with a more satisfactory consciousness of duty will performed.  Its effect will doubtless be visible in the improved work of the school-room. 

Resolutions of thanks were adopted to the County Superintendent, to Prof. Beeler, to Miss Agnes Stowell, to Mrs. Keyes, to Mrs. Falknor, to Prof. Royal, to Rev. T.J. Lamont, to Prof. Brintnall, to Judge Root, to Prof. Getz, to Miss Emma E. Page, to Dr. Massey, to the Press, to the Band, to Miss Conant, the Secretary, and to State Supt. Bean, for the interest they have taken in the Institute and the aid they have rendered to make it a success.     

A resolution was likewise adopted against the sin of cruelty to dumb animals.

Also one favoring a school exhibit for all the schools of the county in Olympia, during the coming winter, and asking the County Commissioners to furnish rooms in the Court house for such exhibit.

Too much credit cannot be accorded to main promoters of this work – Miss Case, the County Superintendent, Profs. Beeler and Bean, and Mrs. Keyes, who be indefatigable and industry and zeal have done so much to elevate educational work, and the object of the institute was rounded into completeness by the timely and practical comments of Miss Stowell.  An incident of the closing day was an address by Rev. Dr. Massey, of Tumwater.  The prominent feature of the day was a debate on the resolution that the ration of male to female teachers should be increased.  The question was, very properly, decided in the negative. 

1893 – Alexander McKenzie in legislature  (YP)

September 15, 1897 – James Longmire dies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *