November 16, 1944 News About The Boys In The U.S. Army and Navy

Nisqually Valley News

Word has been received from Lou Aristonec that he is now stationed at Fort Bliss, Texas, where he will take his basic training. Lou was a resident of Yelm for a number of years and was instructor for the night classes of the vocational training at the high school shop for the past three years.

Quartermaster 2c. Ernie Johnston left last Thursday for California to return to duty, after spending two weeks with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Johnston.  Douglas Edwards, son of Postmaster L.O. Cochrane, writes to his father that he was recently commissioned an ensign in the U.S.N.R.. and has been assigned to an attack transport. Doug was for several years a chief radioman and served on the submarines in the Pacific in the early part of this was. Doug is a graduate of the Yelm High School and attended the University of Washington.

Award of the bronze star medal to Pfc. Raymond Bheiser, field artilleryman of Yelm, was announced by the War Department last Saturday. His citation stated that last May 30, in Italy, he and Tech 5th Gr. Wilbur W. Wolford, of Stockton, Cal. who won an oak leaf cluster to the bronze star), “went as crew men on 11 occasions to repair and restore vital wire communication that had been disrupted by shell fragments from a blazing 6,000 pound ammunition dump of a nearby unit, braving each time a shower of fragments and whole shells.”

Aviation M. 1c. and Mrs. Jack Kelly and their baby son arrived in Yelm on Monday to visit his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Kelly. Jack has been in the British West Indies for more than a year. His leave started in San Diego and he returned to Vermont to get his wife and they drove through to Yelm. His next duty will be assigned to San Diego when he through with his leave.

Pvt. Herbert L. Sather, formerly of Yelm, but now living in Tacoma, was among the paratroopers who jumped near Nijmegen, Holland, and were later instrumental in capturing the main bridge across the Waal river, the pathway to Germany’s back door. Pvt. Sather is the boy who had a cow sit down on him in the Normandy (sic) invasion.

Charles N. Gruber, son in law of Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Brugger, has been promoted from a first lieutenant to a captain. Gruber is in the adjutant general’s department.

Word comes from the Eighth Air Force in England that Sgt. Arthur F. Peterson, of Yelm has been awarded the Air Medal for meritorious achievement on combat missions over enemy Europe. He is a radio operator with the 351st bombardment group. The citation accompanying the award read in part “The courage, coolness and skill displayed by this enlisted man upon these occasions reflected great credit upon himself and the armed forces of the United States.” Sgt. Peterson is 23 years old and the son of Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Peterson of Yelm. He has taken

part in six bombing attacks on enemy installations. He graduated from Lincoln High school in Tacoma in 1939 and attended Washington State College at Pullman before entering the service on March 1st, 1943.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Summers received word that their son, Guy Summers, Radioman 1c, is now stationed in New Guinea.

Tech. 4th Gr. Gladys Curry visited in Seattle this week and while there visited with Miss Rose Nelson and her mother, Mrs. Wade Nelson, who came down from Anacortes to visit her. Gladys will leave Monday for Santa Monica where she will be reassigned. She has been overseas with the 8th Air Force for more than a year.

Pvt. Loren Gritten, son of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Gritten, arrived home on Tuesday for a short leave before his overseas assignment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *