Olympia Child Burns to Death
Bellingham Herald June 7, 1911
(Special to the Herald) Olympia, June 7.—After suffering several hours from serious burns received while playing with a number of young playmates among some shavings, which caught fire from a spark from her father’s mill a short distance away, little Marguerite Whitlatch, the five-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Whitlatch, of Yelm, died Monday night.
The little tot was playing among the shavings, when the spark set fire to them, and her screams attracted the attention of a neighbor woman, who grabbed a blanket, rushed out and wrapped the little girl up in it, but it was too late, as the flames had burned her clothes off and terribly burned the little body. She suffered intense pain for several hours and died late Monday night.