Echoes From Yelm September 5, 1889

Echoes From Yelm

An Ambitious Little Burgh

(Tacoma Daily Ledger September 5, 1889 p. 3)

Yelm, W.T., Sept. 4 – It may not be known to the army of investors in real estate that Yelm has a townsite, but such is the fact.  Some time since the McKenzie Brothers and George Edwards surveyed and platted a portion of their claims, on which the railroad station here is located and they have put their lots on the market.

A good prospect is offered here for a restaurant or hotel as this is a favorite starting and outfitting point for land-seekers, prospectors, hunters and fishermen from the city and for tourists to the springs and Mt. Tacoma.

While at first the business of Yelm far outstripped that of her sister village of Roy, it has latterly fallen behind that of the latter place, simply because the railroad company has not accorded to Yelm the shipping facilities and fostering care it has to Roy.  The citizens of Yelm and the farmers of the large scope of country tributary to it will shortly petition the railroad company for a passenger and freight depot, and possibly telegraph office, and they have had an intimation that their wants will be met in this regard on a proper representation of the facts.

Yelm is twenty-five miles south of Tacoma and twenty-two and a half miles of country road southeast from Olympia.  The prairie is a large and beautiful one and commands the finest view extant of Mt. Tacoma and the foothills of the Cascade range, forms a part of the scenery.  The climate is fine and healthful, the summers delightful, and the rain and snow fall of winter less than in many other portions of the territory.

The product shipped from here (in considerable quantities) consist of hay, hops, oats potatoes, lumber, beef, cattle, dressed meat, butter eggs, and poultry.

Yelm is the nearest outlet to the Northern Pacific railroad and to saltwater for the lumber that in the near future will be manufactured from the magnificent and extensive timber of the Upper Nisqually and Mishue rivers.  The forests that form the boundary of the prairie have as yet been untouched by the lumberman.  This place offers a fine prospect for a steam sawmill and sash and door factory, and Yelm creek, which flows near the station, would afford the needed water supply.  (The Daily Ledger)