News about the Boys in the U.S. Army and Navy December 7, 1944

News about the Boys in the U.S. Army and Navy

Nisqually Valley News  December 7, 1944

Ted Isom was at home last Saturday, December 2nd, for a 48 leave to visit his wife, the former Miss Betty brand, and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Otto Isom.  Ted was in on the invasion of the Philippines.

Lyman Isom, son of Mr. and Mrs. Otto Isom, expect to go to the service on Friday, December 8th, and if he has his choice, it will be the Navy.

Boatswain’s Mate 2c Charles Wilkenson, son of Mr. and Mrs. F. Wilkenson, spent a short time with his parents here and relatives in Port Orchard, recently.  He went back to his base by plane from Portland.  He has been overseas for about 10 months before he arrived home.  He is a graduate of the Yelm High School and is a member of the Yelm M. E. Church.

Capt. And Mrs. George Justman arrived in Yelm Thursday to visit his parent, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Justman.  Capt. Justman arrived in Olympia on Wednesday and they visited his wife’s parents before coming to Yelm.  For some Time Capt. Justman was an instructor for the Army in aviation, and later was given a commission and attached to the Air Transport Command and he has been stationed in Cairo for some time.

Another one of the Justman family is Chief Machinist Robert Justman who is in the Coast Guard and has seen plenty of service in the South Pacific, but is now on the east coast.

Former Yelm Boy Lost in Battle for the Philippines.

Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hammerscmith of Tacoma, but resident of Yelm for many years, received word on Monday, that their youngest son, Raymond, was seriously wounded November 4th, in the Philippines, and on Wednesday a telegram came saying he died of wounds on November 6th.  He was with the 96th Division in the Philippines, Raymond was a nephew of Adolph Hammerscmith Sr. and Mrs. Ben Kittleman of Yelm, and was born here.

The young man was an outstanding student and athlete at Bellarmine, graduating in 1942.  He played three years of varsity tackle and captained the football team in his senior year.  He was also a four year letterman on the baseball club and won a letter in basketball.

He was salutatorian for his class and was voted the Loyalty Award as the outstanding senior.  He was also a member of the Knight’s club.  Ray went into the Army in March 1943 and studied at the Illinois Institute of Technology before being assigned to the amphibious forces.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *