Yelm in 1946
By James Mosman
Yelm, which is located in about the center of the prairie, was incorporated in the spring of 1924, has a population of about 500. The prairie has about 1000inhabitants. From the start of two stores, 1 dwelling place and a blacksmith shop, Yelm now has a large grade school, high school, four churches including the
Methodist, Lutheran, Assembly of God, and the Adventist Church and school, a railroad depot, 4 garages and filling stations, one department store, 2 grocery stores and feed stores, two large cold storage locker plants, one butcher shop, three eating houses, 3 taverns, a dial telephone exchange, a theater, a county tool house, Memorial Clinic with one doctor and one dentist, 1 jewelers shop, the Puget Sound Power and Light office. 2 hardware stores, one electric shop, Standard Oil Company delivery service, one real estate and insurance office, Odd Fellows Lodge, Rebecca Lodge, Masonic Lodge, Eastern Star, Rainbow Girls, DeMoley, Post Office 2nd class, 2 shoe repair shops, day and night marshal, fire engines and fire department, City Hall and library, water system with fire hydrants, paved main street, one bus line to Tacoma, 2 radio and television repair shops, one plumbing shop and one drug store.